Acta Orthopaedica et Traumatologica Turcica
Research Articles

The value of doppler ultrasound in predicting arterial injuries of the penetrating forearm trauma

1.

Department of Orthopedics, Akdeniz University, School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey

2.

Clinic of Orthopedics, Kovancılar State Hospital, Elazığ, Turkey

3.

Department of Radiology, Akdeniz University, School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey

4.

Department of Emergency Medicine, Akdeniz University, School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey

AOTT 2021; 55: 402-405
DOI: 10.5152/j.aott.2021.20278
Read: 208 Downloads: 90 Published: 10 September 2021

Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic value of Doppler ultrasound (DU) in predicting arterial injuries following the penetrating trauma of the forearm, by comparing preoperative diagnosis made by DU and that made by physical examination (PE) with the intraoperative diagnosis.

Methods: In this retrospective study, 48 patients (44 men, 3 women; mean age = 30 ± 12.5 years) who underwent surgical treatment due to a suspected arterial injury following a penetrating trauma in the forearm from 2016 to 2018 were included. The DU examination was frequently done before an orthopedic examination. In the orthopedic PE, the knowledge as to whether an arterial injury occurred or (if present) which artery was injured was noted. Preoperative diagnoses by PE and DU were first compared with each other, and then with the intraoperative diagnoses. The specificity, sensitivity, negative and positive predictive values were calculated.

Results: While the DU findings from 24 patients (50%) matched their intraoperative results, the result from the remaining 24 patients (50%) did not. Nine (18.75%) were considered false-positive and 15 (31.25%) were false-negative. Whereas the PE findings from 30 patients (62.5%) matched their intraoperative results, the remaining 18 patients (37.5%) did not. Six (12.5%) were considered false-positive and 12 (25%) were false- negative. No significant difference was found between the diagnoses of DU and PE, and there was good agreement between the DU and PE findings (P = 0,065, κ = 0,504). While the DU findings were significantly different from the intraoperative findings (P = 0.004), the PE findings were not significantly different from the intraoperative findings (P = 0.302). Sensitivities of DU and PE were both 75% for the diagnosis of radial artery injury as well as 63.3% and 70% for the ulnar artery injury, respectively. Specificities of DU and PE were 83.3% and 91.66% for the diagnosis of radial artery injury as well as 77.77% and 72.22% for the ulnar artery injury, respectively.

Conclusion: The PE seems more sensitive and useful than the DU in predicting arterial injuries following the penetrating trauma of the forearm.

Level of Evidence: Level IV

Cite this article as: Civan O, Dirlik GN, Durmaz E, et al. The value of doppler ultrasound in predicting arterial injuries of the penetrating forearm trauma. [published online ahead of print, 2021 September 9] Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc; 10.5152/j.aott.2021.20278. 55(5): 402–405.

Files
ISSN 1017-995X EISSN 2589-1294