Acta Orthopaedica et Traumatologica Turcica

Longterm results of open surgical repair of rotator cuff tears

AOTT 2004; 38: 110-114
Read: 281 Downloads: 353 Published: 08 March 2020
Abstract

Objectives: We evaluated the long-term results of rotator cuff tears treated by open surgical repair.\nMethods: Ninety shoulders of 88 patients (36 females, 52 males; mean age 57 years; range 36 to 75 years) with rotator cuff tears were treated by open surgical repair and acromioplasty. A three-staged rehabilitation program was implemented following surgery. Objective evaluations were made with the use of the Constant-Murley scoring system. Pain was assessed through a visual analog scale. The mean follow-up period was 61 months (range 24 to 102 months).\nResults: The mean Constant-Murley score increased from preoperative 41.7 (range 12 to 82) to postoperative 79.7 (range 42 to 100) (p<0.0001). The mean preoperative and postoperative pain scores were 7.5 (range 4 to 10) and 1.25 (range 0 to 5), respectively (p<0.0001). Only eight patients (9%) showed dissatisfaction with the surgical outcome. The remaining 80 patients (91%) were satisfied with the outcome and returned to their previous night comfort and daily activities. None of the patients had postoperative nerve palsy or limitations in shoulder functions. Two patients (2.2%) developed superficial soft tissue infections that disappeared following multiple wound debridements.\nConclusion: Our long-term results favor open surgical repair and acromioplasty in the treatment of patients with rotator cuff tears.

Özet

Amaç: Rotator kılıf yırtıklarının açık cerrahi ile tedavisinin uzun dönem sonuçları değerlendirildi.\nÇalışma planı: Çalışmada rotator kılıf yırtığı nedeniyle açık cerrahi tamir ve akromiyoplasti uygulanan 88 hastanın (36 kadın, 52 erkek; ort. yaş 57; dağılım 36-75) 90 omzunda uzun dönem sonuçlar değerlendirildi. Ameliyat sonrasında üç aşamalı rehabilitasyon programı uygulandı. Objektif değerlendirme Constant-Murley skorlama sistemiyle yapıldı. Ağrı subjektif olarak görsel analog skala kullanılarak ölçüldü. Ortalama izlem süresi 61 ay (dağılım 24-102 ay) idi.\nSonuçlar: Ameliyat öncesinde 41.7 (dağılım 12-82) bulunan Constant-Murley skoru ortalaması, ameliyat sonrası dönemde 79.7’ye (42-100) yükseldi (p<0.0001). Görsel analog skala ortalama skoru ameliyat öncesinde 7.5 (dağılım 4-10), ameliyat sonrasında 1.25 (dağılım 0-5) bulundu (p<0.0001). Sadece sekiz hastanın (%9) ameliyattan memnun olmadığı öğrenildi. Ameliyattan memnun olan 80 hastada (%91) gece uyku düzeni ve günlük aktivitelere dönüş sağlandı. Hastaların hiçbirinde cerrahi sonrası sinir paralizisi ve omuz fonksiyon kısıtlılığına rastlanmadı. İki hastada (%2.2) yüzeyel yumuşak doku enfeksiyonu gelişti ve pansumanlarla iyileşti.\nÇıkarımlar: Açık cerrahi tedavi ve akromiyoplastinin uzun dönem sonuçları, yöntemin rotator kılıf yırtıklarının tedavisinde etkili olduğunu göstermektedir.

Files
ISSN 1017-995X EISSN 2589-1294